Hi! It is Thousand Thursday again. I hope your pen and paper or printer is ready to capture the following rent paying opportunities.
1. 2. 3. The American Fiction Prize offers a whopping $1,000 for a short story. Second place is $500 and third place is $250. I think that is good money for up to 7,500 words. The deadline is June 15 Start writing and see what you can do.
4. If you write nonfiction you can earn a cool $1,000 for up to 6,500 words when you win the American Literary Review Creative Nonfiction. The deadline for this contest is October 1st.
5. Are there 8,000 words inside of you? If there is you could probably win $1,000 for your short story of 8,000 words or less. This is another contest from the American Literary Review the deadline is October 1st.
6. Have you written a first book of poetry. The American Poetry Review will pay you $3,000 and publish your book of poetry if you have never published a book before. The deadline for this contest is October 31st. You can pay your rent for 3 months with $3,000.
7. If you want authors copies of your book you can give as gifts or sell then have your manuscript of poetry ready by September 30th. The Philip Levine Prize in Poetry Department of English will pay you 25 author’s copies of your book of poetry and as an added bonus pay you $2,000. You can pay your rent for 2 months with $2,000.
8. The Austin Film Festival offers several screenplay awards with a generous prize of $5,000 and the best part is it is required that you have not published a screenplay nor earn a living writing for television or film. You can’t get better than that. There are several screenplay contests for comedies, dramas and television.